Work Address: Department of Microbiology, School of Medicine, Nankai University
1. Research Areas (HIV/AIDS)
Since the year 2000, I have been focused on HIV/AIDS research, including HIV molecular epidemiology, immunology, and virology. I have studied and worked abroad for many years. Until now, AIDS has killed millions of people globally. The current combined antiretroviral therapy can not completely cure HIV/AIDS patients. We are trying to find the new target or new therapy to cure HIV/AIDS. Now our group works in two directions:
1) The anti-HIV host factors. HIV utilizes host cellular factors to complete its life cycle; on the other hand, the host cells also produce factors to prevent virus replication. In the previous work, we found a new host factor coiled-coil domain containing protein 8 (CCDC8) that can strongly inhibit HIV replication. The related protein complex CCDC8-Obsl-Cul7 can induce HIV Gag polyubiquitination and degradation. The relevant mechanisms and implications are under study.
2) In 2009, the German doctor reported that “Berlin patient”, who was suffered from HIV/AIDS and acute leukemia, received allogeneic bone marrow transplantation. The donor was homozygous CCR5 Δ32 deletion. CCR5 is important co-receptor for HIV entry into human CD4+ cells, and the cells with homozygous CCR5 Δ32 deletion is resistant to CCR5-tropic HIV infection. The Berlin patient is very healthy after eight years of stopping anti-retroviral therapy, and no viral rebound. This is the world only cured case until now. However, only 0-0.19% people in China have homozygous CCR5Δ32 deletion. Using the latest genome editing technology (CRISPR- Cas9, Clustered regularly interspaced short palindromic repeats and associated protein 9), we successfully induced CCR5Δ32 deletion in lymphocyte Jurkat cell line and primary CD4+ cells. Next, we will push forward to the animal tests and clinical trials.
2000.7-2003.7, Doctoral Degree in Medicine, Major in Molecular Virology and Immunology, National Center for AIDS/STD Prevention and Control, Chinese Center for Disease Prevention and Control (Original China Academy of Preventive Medicine), Beijing, China
1994.9-1997.7, Master Degree in Medicine, Major in Microbiology and Immunology, Department of Microbiology, Dalian Medical University, Dalian, China
1989.9-1994.7, Bachelor Degree in Medicine, Dalian Medical University, Dalian, China
3. Professional Experience
2014.9- Present, Professor in School of Medicine, Nankai University
2008.10-2013.3, Research Associate in Lady Davis Institute, Jewish General Hospital, McGill AIDS Center, McGill University, Montreal, Canada
2004.1-2008.9, Postdoctoral Fellow in Lady Davis Institute, Jewish General Hospital, McGill AIDS Center, McGill University, Montreal, Canada
1997.7-2000.7, Lecturer in Dalian Medical University, Dalian, China
 2007.2, Young Investigator Award, 14th Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections, Los Angeles, USA.
 2006.7-2008.9, Postdoctoral Fellow Award, Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) HIV/AIDS Initiative Fellowship, $40,000/year, plus allowance $5,000/year.
 2003.10, Excellent Doctoral Thesis, Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
5. Social Service
Working Experience Related with Profession:
 2015-Present, Editorial board of Journal of Immunological Diseases, Disorders and their Prevention
 2015-Present, consultant in Tianjin Entry-Exit Inspection and Quarantine Bureau
Research & Achievements
Peer-Reviewed Journal Papers (Representative first- and corresponding-author publications, full publications can get from PubMed)
 Jia X, Qi C, Lu L, Wei M*. Research Progress on coiled-coil domain containing 8 (CCDC8). Chemistry of Life, 2016, 36(5): 710-714
 Qi C, Jia X, Lu L, Ma P, Wei M*. HEK293T cells are heterozygous for CCR5 delta 32 mutation. PLoS One. 2016;11(4):e0152975. doi: 10.1371/journal. pone.0152975
Wei M*, Zhao X, Liu M, Niu M, Seif E, Kleiman L. Export of precursor tRNAIle from the nucleus to the cytoplasm in human cells. Plos One. 2016; 11(4): e0154044. doi:10.1371/journal.pone. 0154044.
 Wei M*, Shao Y. Glimmers of success in eradication of human immunodeficiency virus in human bodies by CRISPR-Cas9 system. Journal of Microbes and Infections. 2015, 10(5): 324-328
 Wei M, Zhao X, Liu M, Huang Z, Xiao Y, Niu M，Shao Y, Kleiman L. Inhibition of HIV-1 assembly by coiled-coil domain containing protein 8 in human cells. Sci Rep.2015;5:14724. doi:10.1038/srep14724.
 Wei M,Xing H,Feng Y, Hsi JH,Liu P, Shao Y. Estimating HIV-1 transmission routes for patients with unknown-risk histories by viral sequence phylogenetic analyses. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr (JAIDS). 2015; 70(2): 195-203. doi:10.1097/QAI.0000000000000735.
 Pavon-Eternod M, Wei M, Pan T, Kleiman L. Profiling non-lysyltRNAs in HIV-1. RNA. 2010; 16(2): 267-273. (co-first author)
 Wei M, Yang Y, Niu M, Desfosse L, Kennedy R, Musier-Forsyth Karin, Kleiman L. Inability of HIV-1 produced in murine cells to selectively incorporate primer tRNALys3. J Virol. 2008; 82(24): 12049-12059.
 Wei M, Cen S, Niu M, Guo F, Kleiman L. Defective replication in human immunodeficiency virus type 1 when non-primers are used for reverse transcription. J Virol. 2005; 79(14): 9081-9087.
 Wei M, Guan Q, Liang H, Chen J, Chen Z, Hei F, Feng Y, Hong K, Huang H, Xing H, Shao Y. Simple subtyping assay for human immunodeficiency virus type 1 subtypes B, C, CRF01-AE, CRF07-BC, and CRF08-BC. J Clin Microbiol. 2004; 42(9): 4261-4267
 Wei M, Xing H, Hong K, Huang H, Tang H, Qin G, Shao Y. Biased G-to-A hypermutation in HIV-1 proviral DNA from a long-term non-progressor. AIDS. 2004; 18(13): 1863-1865
1. Inhibition of HIV-1 by coiled-coil domain containing 8 and its application. Wei M，Shao Yiming，Lawrence Kleiman. State intellectual property office of the P.R.China. 201510090585.5
2. Method of inducing CCR5Δ32 mutation by genome editing technology CRISPR-Cas9. Wei M, Qi C. State intellectual property office of the P.R.China. 201610028603.1
 2016.1-2019.12. National Natural Science Foundation of China, 81571991, Discovery and mechanism exploration of a new host factor --- coiled-coil domain protein 8 against HIV.
2014.11-2018.12. Starting fund of Nankai University.
Human critical diseases