Work Address: Department of Pathogenic Microbiology, School of Medicine, Nankai University
Tsinghua University, Ph.D. in Biology, 2011
KU Leuven Belgium, M.S. in Bioinformatics, 2003
Harbin Institute of Technology, M.S. in Environmental Science, 1999
Liaoning University, B.S. in Microbiology, 1992
Professor in Pathogeny Microbiology, Nankai University, 2019
Associate Professor with tenure in Environmental Microbiology, Tianjin University, 2012
Associate Professor with tenure in Microbiology and Biochemistry, Shenyang Pharmaceutical University, 2005
Rapid detection of pathogens
Mechanisms of antibiotic resistance in pathogenic bacteria
HGT of antibiotic resistant plasmid/integron in bacterial communities
Side effects of antibiotics/non-antibiotic drugs via impacting gut microbiota
Infection-related process of gut-commensal translocation
Seven hosted “National Natural Science Foundation Project” and one hosted research subject of “National key research and development project”.
“Distribution and proliferation mechanism of antibiotic resistance genes in human intestinal microbiota” funded by National Natural Science foundation of China, 2019-2022, 710,000 RMB.
“Proliferation and dissemination of antibiotics resistance genes under the influence of Ionic Liquid” funded by National Natural Science foundation of China, 2017-2020, 740,000 RMB
“The propagation-proliferation mechanism and distribution of blaNDM-1 genes of bacteria in rivers” funded by National Natural Science foundation of China, 2015-2018, 880,000 RMB.
“Pollution characteristics and transfer-diffusion mechanism of farmland antibiotic resistance genes arising from fertilizer” funded by National Natural Science foundation of China, 2013-2016, 850,000 RMB.
“The proliferation of plasmids and integrons in waste-water treatment system” funded by National Natural Science foundation of China, 2012-2015, 630,000 RMB.
“Diffusion and the lasting persistence state of antibiotics resistance genes in environment” funded by National Natural Science foundation of China, 2009-2011, 350,000 RMB.
The research subject of “Human health effects of resistance genes from livestock and poultry farms” in National key research and development project, 2021-2025, 452,0000 RMB.
1. Zhang, P., L. Zheng, Y. Duan, Y. Gao, H. Gao, D. Mao* and Y. Luo (2021). Gut microbiota exaggerates triclosan-induced liver injury via gut-liver axis. JOURNAL OF HAZARDOUS MATERIALS 421.
2. Wang, Q., Y. Xu, L. Liu, L.-Y. Li, H. Lin, X.-Y. Wu, W.-J. Bi, L.-T. Wang, D.-Q. Mao and Y. Luo (2021). The prevalence of ampicillin-resistant opportunistic pathogenic bacteria undergoing selective stress of heavy metal pollutants in the Xiangjiang River, China. ENVIRONMENTAL POLLUTION 268.
3. Li, L., Q. Wang, Y. Gao, L. Liu, Y. Duan, D. Mao and Y. Luo (2021). Colistin and amoxicillin combinatorial exposure alters the human intestinal microbiota and antibiotic resistome in the simulated human intestinal microbiota. SCIENCE OF THE TOTAL ENVIRONMENT 750.
4. Wang, Q., Y. J. Duan, S. P. Wang, L. T. Wang, Z. L. Hou, Y. X. Cui, J. Hou, R. Das, D. Q. Mao and Y. Luo (2020). Occurrence and distribution of clinical and veterinary antibiotics in the faeces of a Chinese population. J Hazard Mater 383: 121129.
5. Liu, L., Q. Wang, X. Wu, H. Qi, R. Das, H. Lin, J. Shi, S. Wang, J. Yang, Y. Xue, D. Mao and Y. Luo (2020). Vancomycin exposure caused opportunistic pathogens bloom in intestinal microbiome by simulator of the human intestinal microbial ecosystem (SHIME). Environmental Pollution: 114399.
6. Liu, L., Q. Wang, H. Lin, R. Das, S. Wang, H. Qi, J. Yang, Y. Xue, D. Mao and Y. Luo (2020). Amoxicillin Increased Functional Pathway Genes and Beta-Lactam Resistance Genes by Pathogens Bloomed in Intestinal Microbiota Using a Simulator of the Human Intestinal Microbial Ecosystem. Frontiers in Microbiology 11(1213).
7. Lin, H., Q. Wang, M. Yuan, L. Liu, Z. Chen, Y. Zhao, R. Das, Y. Duan, X. Xu, Y. Xue, Y. Luo and D. Mao* (2020). The prolonged disruption of a single-course amoxicillin on mice gut microbiota and resistome, and recovery by inulin, Bifidobacterium longum and fecal microbiota transplantation. Environmental Pollution: 114651.
8. Lin, H., Q. Wang, L. Liu, Z. Chen, R. Das, Y. Zhao, D. Mao* and Y. Luo (2020). Colonization of Mice With Amoxicillin-Associated Klebsiella variicola Drives Inflammation via Th1 Induction and Treg Inhibition. Frontiers in Microbiology 11(1256).
9. Duan, Y., H. Gao, L. Zheng, S. Liu, Y. Cao, S. Zhu, Z. Wu, H. Ren, D. Mao* and Y. Luo (2020). Antibiotic Resistance and Virulence of Extraintestinal Pathogenic Escherichia coli (ExPEC) Vary According to Molecular Types. FRONTIERS IN MICROBIOLOGY 11.
10. Duan, Y., Z. Chen, L. Tan, X. Wang, Y. Xue, S. Wang, Q. Wang, R. Das, H. Lin, J. Hou, L. Li, D. Mao* and Y. Luo (2019). Gut resistomes, microbiota and antibiotic residues in Chinese patients undergoing antibiotic administration and healthy individuals. Science of The Total Environment: 135674.
11. Tan L., Wang F., Liang M., Wang X., Das R., Mao D.* and Luo Y. (2019). Antibiotic resistance genes attenuated with salt accumulation in saline soil. Journal of Hazardous Materials 374: 35-42.
12. Hou J., Chen Z., Gao J., Xie Y., Li L., Qin S., Wang Q., Mao D.* and Luo Y.* (2019). Simultaneous removal of antibiotics and antibiotic resistance genes from pharmaceutical wastewater using the combinations of up-flow anaerobic sludge bed, anoxic-oxic tank, and advanced oxidation technologies. Water Research 159: 511-520.
13. Xu Y., Wang X., Lu T., Mao D.* and Luo Y.* (2019). Metal impacts on the persistence and proliferation of β-lactam resistance genes in Xiangjiang River, China. Environmental Science and Pollution Research.
14. Tan L., Li L., Ashbolt N., Wang X., Cui Y., Zhu X., Xu Y., Yang Y., Mao D.* and Luo Y.* (2018). Arctic antibiotic resistance gene contamination, a result of anthropogenic activities and natural origin. Science of the Total Environment 621: 1176-1184.
15. Zhou H., Wang X., Li Z., Kuang Y., Mao D.* and Luo Y.* (2018). Occurrence and Distribution of Urban Dust-Associated Bacterial Antibiotic Resistance in Northern China. Environmental Science & Technology Letters 5(2): 50-55.
16. Yang F., Huang L., Li L., Yang Y., Mao D.* and Luo Y.* (2017). Discharge of KPC-2 genes from the WWTPs contributed to their enriched abundance in the receiving river. The Science of the total environment 581-582: 136-143.
17. Xu Y., Xu J., Mao D.* and Luo Y.* (2017). Effect of the selective pressure of sub-lethal level of heavy metals on the fate and distribution of ARGs in the catchment scale. Environmental Pollution 220: 900-908.
18. Dang B., Mao D.*, Xu Y. and Luo Y.* (2017). Conjugative multi-resistant plasmids in Haihe River and their impacts on the abundance and spatial distribution of antibiotic resistance genes. Water Research 111: 81-91. (Incites Top 3% cited paper)
19. Zhai W., Yang F., Mao D.* and Luo Y.* (2016). Fate and removal of various antibiotic resistance genes in typical pharmaceutical wastewater treatment systems. Environmental Science and Pollution Research 23(12): 12030-12038.
20. Yang F., Mao D.*, Zhou H., Wang X. and Luo Y.* (2016). Propagation of New Delhi Metallo-beta-lactamase Genes (bla(NDM-1)) from a Wastewater Treatment Plant to Its Receiving River. Environmental Science & Technology Letters 3(4): 138-143.
21. Yang F., Mao D.*, Zhou H. and Luo Y.* (2016). Prevalence and Fate of Carbapenemase Genes in a Wastewater Treatment Plant in Northern China. Plos One 11(5).
22. Hou J., Wang C., Mao D.* and Luo Y.* (2016). The occurrence and fate of tetracyclines in two pharmaceutical wastewater treatment plants of Northern China. Environmental Science and Pollution Research 23(2): 1722-1731. (Incites Top 3% cited paper)
23. Dang B., Xu Y., Mao D.* and Luo Y.* (2016). Complete nucleotide sequence of plasmid pNA6 reveals the high plasticity of IncU family plasmids. Gene 591(1): 74-79.
24. Dang B., Mao D.* and Luo Y.* (2016). Complete Nucleotide Sequence of pGA45, a 140,698-bp IncFII(Y) Plasmid Encoding bla(IMI-3)-Mediated Carbapenem Resistance, from River Sediment. Frontiers in Microbiology 7.
25. Dang B., Mao D.* and Luo Y.* (2016). Complete Nucleotide Sequence of IncP-1 beta Plasmid pDTC28 Reveals a Non-Functional Variant of the bla(GES)-Type Gene. Plos One 11(5).
26. Wang Q., Mao D.*, Mu Q. and Luo Y.* (2015). Enhanced Horizontal Transfer of Antibiotic Resistance Genes in Freshwater Microcosms Induced by an Ionic Liquid. Plos One 10(5).
27. Wang Q., Mao D.* and Luo Y.* (2015). Ionic Liquid Facilitates the Conjugative Transfer of Antibiotic Resistance Genes Mediated by Plasmid RP4. Environmental Science & Technology 49(14): 8731-8740.
28. Wang Q., Lu Q., Mao D.*, Cui Y. and Luo Y.* (2015). The horizontal transfer of antibiotic resistance genes is enhanced by ionic liquid with different structure of varying alkyl chain length. Frontiers in Microbiology 6.
29. Wang J., Mao D.*, Mu Q. and Luo Y.* (2015). Fate and proliferation of typical antibiotic resistance genes in five full-scale pharmaceutical wastewater treatment plants. Science of the Total Environment 526: 366-373.
30. Mu Q., Li J., Sun Y., Mao D.*, Wang Q. and Luo Y.* (2015). Occurrence of sulfonamide-, tetracycline-, plasmid-mediated quinolone- and macrolide-resistance genes in livestock feedlots in Northern China. Environmental Science and Pollution Research 22(9): 6932-6940.
31. Mao D., Yu S., Rysz M., Luo Y.*, Yang F., Li F., Hou J., Mu Q. and Alvarez P.J.J.* (2015). Prevalence and proliferation of antibiotic resistance genes in two municipal wastewater treatment plants. Water Research 85: 458-466. ESI
32. Luo Y., Wang Q., Lu Q., Mu Q. and Mao D.* (2015). An Ionic Liquid Facilitates the Proliferation of Antibiotic Resistance Genes Mediated by Class I Integrons (vol 1, pg 266, 2014). Environmental Science & Technology Letters 2(6): 165-165.
33. Hou J., Wan W., Mao D.*, Wang C., Mu Q., Qin S. and Luo Y.* (2015). Occurrence and distribution of sulfonamides, tetracyclines, quinolones, macrolides, and nitrofurans in livestock manure and amended soils of Northern China. Environmental Science and Pollution Research 22(6): 4545-4554. (Incites Top 3% cited paper)
34. Mao D., Luo Y.*, Mathieu J., Wang Q., Feng L., Mu Q., Feng C. and Alvarez P.J.J.* (2014). Persistence of Extracellular DNA in River Sediment Facilitates Antibiotic Resistance Gene Propagation. Environmental Science & Technology 48(1): 71-78. (Incites Top 3% cited papers)
35. Luo Y., Yang F., Mathieu J., Mao D.*, Wang Q. and Alvarez P.J.J.* (2014). Proliferation of Multidrug-Resistant New Delhi Metallo-beta-lactamase Genes in Municipal Wastewater Treatment Plants in Northern China. Environmental Science & Technology Letters 1(1): 26-30.
36. Mao D., Tao J., Li C., Luo C., Zheng L. and He C.* (2012). Light signalling mediated by Per-ARNT-Sim domain-containing proteins in Xanthomonas campestris pv. campestris. Fems Microbiology Letters 326(1): 31-39.
37. Mao D., Tao J., Li C., Luo C., Zheng L. and He C.* (2012). Identification of novel oxygen sensors using a combined approach in Xanthomonas campestris pv. campestris. Annals of Microbiology 62(3): 957-964.
38. Gao P., Mao D.*, Luo Y.*, Wang L., Xu B. and Xu L. (2012). Occurrence of sulfonamide and tetracycline-resistant bacteria and resistance genes in aquaculture environment. Water Research 46(7): 2355-2364. ESI
39. Xu B., Mao D.*, Luo Y.* and Xu L. (2011). Sulfamethoxazole biodegradation and biotransformation in the water-sediment system of a natural river. Bioresource Technology 102(14): 7069-7076.
40. Mao D., Tao J., Li C., Luo C., Zheng L. and He C.* (2011). A novel one-component system, XvgA involved in regulation of bacterial growth and virulence of Xanthomonas campestris pv. campestris. African Journal of Microbiology Research 5(25): 4433-4441.
41. Luo Y., Mao D., Rysz M., Zhou Q., Zhang H., Xu L. and Alvarez P.J.J.* (2010). Trends in Antibiotic Resistance Genes Occurrence in the Haihe River, China. Environmental Science & Technology 44(19): 7220-7225. (Co-first author) ESI
42. Mao D., Luo Y., Cheng M.* and Zhang J.* (2005). Functional grouping of yeast genes via biclustering microarray data. Frontiers in Bioscience 10: 2669-2675.